Hours after vaping for the first time, a United Kingdom resident couldn’t initially figure out what was happening, why a rash suddenly developed and made her scream in extreme pain: “My skin was burning.”
Nearly 24 hours after vaping, however, she was admitted to a hospital March 3 and treated for a severe allergic reaction.
“I’d never vaped or even smoked before so it was new to me,” Santiago-Griggs said.
Not giving it a second thought, Santiago-Griggs went to bed that evening but felt uncomfortable.
“At 2 a.m., I woke with an itch and all of a sudden by 4:30 a.m., I was completely covered in a painful rash,” she said. “I’ve never had an allergic reaction to anything before — this was horrible. It (covered) my body, very painful, and it felt like my skin was burning from underneath, burning up from the inside.”
In an effort to subdue the pain, Santiago-Griggs took “several anti-histamine tablets,” but it had no effect. That’s when she sought treatment at Southmead Hospital in Bristol, U.K.
“It was starting to blister and getting serious,” she said of the vape allergy. “They took me straight in.”
During her hospital stay, she was treated with steroids, among other medications.
Following her ordeal, Santiago-Griggs started petitioning government officials to legislate an ordinance, forcing individuals who have never previously vaped to be first tested for potential allergies, nypost.com reported.
She at least believes additional layers of protection should be implemented at the grassroots level of retailing the vaping devices.
“They (the employees at the store) just sold it to me and sent me on my way without any advice of the possible side-effects,” Santiago-Griggs said. “Doing a bit of research, I’ve found that this has been known, but they don’t tell you. Most people aren’t aware.”
They will be soon if Santiago-Griggs continues her crusade.
Want to keep up on the latest, like the vape allergy story? Check out our News Page!