A 24-year-old electrician, William Brown was a first-time user and did not have a history of smoking.
It is believed to be the second fatality from an exploding vape pen in the U.S. The incident involving Brown likely was caused by an unregulated mod, which is known to be much riskier than standard vaping devices. Unfortunately, the mainstream media is unlikely to make this distinction.
His grandmother, Alice Brown, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegraph that William Brown decided to try vaping after being convinced it could alleviate some asthma discomfort.
After purchasing a device, Brown attempted to use it while sitting in his grandmother’s car. Injured after the explosion, Brown crawled from the car to seek assistance. An individual called authorities and an ambulance rushed him to an area hospital.
He died two days later, two weeks shy of his 25th birthday.
“It just hurts so bad,” Alice Brown told the Star-Telegraph. “Now he’ll never see that birthday. It’s a waste of the things he could have accomplished.
“It just all seems so unreal. He was running around doing his thing at 24 and now he’s gone.”
Still seated in the car, Brown suffered a stroke and experienced bleeding in his brain, Alice Brown recounted what she was told by doctors.
For the cause of death, the Tarrant County medical examiner’s office ruled penetrating trauma from an exploding vaporizer pen.
Alice Brown handed bloody fragments of the exploded vape pen to authorities for examination, according to Newsweek.
Florida resident Tallmadge D’Elia died last May when a vape pen exploded, causing fragments to be shot into his skull and igniting a fire that burned approximately 80 percent of his body.
A recent study executed by George Mason University studied data from 2015-17, revealing nearly 2,035 incidents involving vape pens were treated at U.S. hospitals.
Keep up with the latest vaping news — check out our Vape News page!